- 1 cup warm milk (105 degrees F) (or coconut milk for vegan)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tablespoon melted butter (or coconut oil for vegan)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 4-4.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rose petals (washed)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup rose water
- 6 Tablespoon softened butter (or coconut oil for vegan)
- *extra 2 cups loose rose petal (washed)
- Warm milk so that it’s lukewarm and pour into the bowl of a stand mixer with 1 Tablespoon sugar and 1 Tablespoon yeast. Stir and let it sit (proof) for five minutes or until it becomes foamy.
- Add the rest of the sugar, butter, eggs in the bowl with your proofed yeast, use a dough hook to stir until combined.
- Add the 4 cups flour, salt and cardamom, and stir with the dough hook, starting on low and increasing to high.
- Knead dough in the standing mixer until a large ball is formed and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough should be smooth. If the dough seems too sticky, add 1 Tablespoon more flour at a time until a smooth ball is formed.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead with your hands until it is smooth and elastic (about 3-5 minutes). Form into a ball and lightly grease your standing mixer bowl and place the dough instead, cover the bowl with a tea towel and put the bowl in a warm place to rise.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
In the meantime, make filling:
- In a medium size bowl, stir together rose water and sugar.
- Then gather 2 cups rose petals, pink and red petals work best. Pluck off your rose petals in a he loves me he loves me not fashion, or just simply pick them all at once and wash off in a colander. Place in the bowl with your rose water and sugar and massage so that the rose petals macerate with the rose water and sugar mixture.
- Set aside.
- Sprinkle a flat work surface with flour.
- Gently press the air out of the dough and form it into a rectangle.
- Roll the dough into a 24” x 12” rectangle that is about ¼ inch thick.
- Spread your softened butter with an offset spatula.
- Then evenly spread your macerated rose petals on the dough rectangle, trying to cover the surface to the sides. Scatter the other 2 cups of washed rose petals on the dough scape.
- Roll up the dough tightly and cut into 12 equal sized rolls (each roll about 2” wide). Dividing the dough in half each time for the best (most even results without measuring!)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and then place your rolls 4 x 3 on the sheet.
- Cover with your tea towel and let rise until nearly doubled in a warm place, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- *Optional: Swipe each roll with egg wash for a more golden, shiny bake
- Once the rolls are doubled in size, bake them in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes.