By Chef Jo Ann Kim
Makes about 15 oz cheese
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 cup sunflower and pumpkin seeds, soaked
- 1/3 cup rejuvelac
- pinch salt
- Soak quinoa overnight in water. The next morning, drain quinoa well. Rinse and drain quinoa, every morning and evening for about 2 days, until quinoa sprouts.
- Add 1 1/2 cup water to sprouted quinoa and let sit covered with a cheesecloth for 2 days until bubbles form and is slightly fizzy. Strain quinoa from rejuvelac liquid. Store in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Soak seeds for at least 4 hours. Blend drained seeds, pinch salt and rejuvelac until nearly smooth, but still retains texture. Keep in a clean glass vessel, covered with cheesecloth for 8-30 hours, at room temperature.
- Cheese will get tangier the longer it fermented. Flavor with desired seasonings and store in fridge. Will keep up to two weeks.