By Chef Jo Ann Kim
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp + 3 tbsp Fresh Tarragon leaves
- 3/4 cup Water, lukewarm
- 2 tsp Dry Active Yeast
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 3 2/3 cup White Spelt Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter, softened
- Process sugar and 2 tbsp tarragon until well blended into a pale green mixture.
- Measure out 1/4 cup tarragon sugar and mix with dry yeast and water. Let yeast bloom for about twenty minutes.
- Blend milk with remaining 3 tbsp tarragon. Then mix milk and egg into yeast mixture.
- Mix remaining ingredients together and add liquid mixture. Using a stand mixer with dough hook, mix until dough pulls clean off edges. Alternately, mix with a wooden spoon.
- Place dough in a well oiled bowl covered with a clean towel to rise in a warm place for at least 2 hours.
- Roll out dough to 1/2 in thickness. Cut into small rectangles using a pizza cutter. Let dough rise for another 45 minutes in a warm place.
- Brush with oil then with milk and bake at 350 for 9-12 minutes.
- Top with remaining tarragon sugar and serve warm.