By Chef Jo Ann Kim
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 Green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Tomatoes, chopped
- 2/3 cup Okra, chopped
- 1/3 cup Shiitake, chopped
- 2/3 cup Fennel bulb, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 1/2 cup Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp Fennel spice
- 1 1/2 tbsp Creole seasoning
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire - or more soy sauce
- 1 cup Red beans, cooked and drained
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 Thyme sprigs
- 1/3 cup Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Long grain rice, any variety
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- Pinch salt
- Add oil to a medium stock pot over medium heat. Add flour and whisk regularly for approximately 20 minutes until roux is deep copper in hue.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper and cook for a few minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer on low for about 40 minutes.
- Make golden rice by simmering rinsed rice, water, turmeric, salt on low for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve gumbo with a scoop of golden rice.