By Chef Jo Ann Kim
Makes 15-18 Donuts
- 1 1/4 cup milk, warmed
- 1 1/2 tsp yeast
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp star anise, freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp scant black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/8 t ground star anise
- pistachios, chopped
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt and sugar and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the warmed milk and the yeast. Stir and set aside.
- Pour the milk into the flour and mix together. The dough will be sticky, but do not over mix. Cover with a clean towel and set aside in a warm place to rise for about 1-2 hours, until the dough has doubled in size.
- Add about 4 inches deep oil into a pot for frying. When the oil reaches about 325-350F, shape the rounded donuts using an oiled tablespoon or cookie scoop and drop into the oil.
- Fry the donuts until they are golden brown on all sides and transfer to a paper towel lined tray.
- To serve, pour honey over with a dash of star anise and chopped pistachios while donuts are warm.