Makes 20-30 Fritters Depending on Size
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp fine sea salt plus more for finishing
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 cup ice-cold blond lager beer
- Light vegetable oil, for deep frying (about 1 ½ liters)
- 20-30 sage leaves depending on size
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the sugar, salt, and nutmeg. Whisk in the beer until everything is combined and the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour 1 inch oil into a large, high sided pan. Heat the oil to about 375 F. You can test if the oil is hot enough by adding a small drop of batter: if it sizzles and turns golden and crisp, the oil is ready.
- Working in batches and adding one at a time, dip the sage leaves into the batter, then fry, flipping frequently for even cooking, until crispy and golden, about 3 minutes.
- Place the sage fritters onto a large plate covered with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Transfer to a serving plate, season with salt and serve immediately