- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 12 baby artichokes
- 1 lemon halved
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Fine Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups carnaroli rice
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low to keep the stock at a simmer.
- To trim the artichokes, remove the thickest layer of leaves and trim the stems, rubbing them with cut lemon as you go. Cut into slices, about ¼ inch thick.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the artichokes and sauté until crisp tender, about 5 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent and soft, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir well to coat. Sauté until nearly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add a ladle of hot stock along with half of the Sautéed artichokes. When the liquid is mostly absorbed, add another ladle of stock, stirring constantly and adding more once each addition is absorbed to keep the rice covered at all times. Repeat this process until the rice is creamy but still al dente, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the risotto from the heat. Add the parmesan and the remaining sautéed artichokes, stirring vigorously to make the risotto creamier. Add a small ladle of stock if necessary to adjust the consistency.
- Serve immediately, adding more grated parmesan, if desired.