By Chef Jo Ann Kim
Makes 1 quart jar
- 5 lemons to be preserved
- 5 tsp salt
- 3-4 lemons, juiced
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns, toasted
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 quart jar, cleaned
- Slice ends off lemons. Slice a deep "x" into one lemon end, careful not to slice all the way through to keep the base intact.
- Stuff each lemon with a teaspoon of salt, then place into a clean jar. Repeat with all lemons, pressing them in as you go.
- Juice remaining lemons to cover preserved jarred lemons in liquid. Add toasted peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Shake the jar daily for 3 days to evenly distribute salt. Then keep it in a cool, dark place for about 4 weeks.