By David Lebovitz - From The Perfect Scoop
Makes 1 Generous Quart
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 6 tbsp strongly flavored honey (such as chestnut or buckwheat), or 1/2 cup mild-flavor honey
- In a medium saucepan, warm the milk, sugar and salt.
- Pour the cream into a medium bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. Nest the bowl in a larger bowl half-filled with ice and some cold water, to make an ice bath.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Once the milk is warm, slowly pour half of the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Over medium heat, stir the mixture constantly with a wooden spoon or heat proof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spoon.
- Pour the custard through the strainer, stir for a minute or so, until tepid, then mix in the honey.
- Chill mixture overnight. The following day before churning, taste the custard and add additional honey, if desired, then freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.