By Chef Ella Freyinger
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 bell pepper (seeded & coarsely chopped)
- 6 medium sized ripe tomatoes (about 3 cups worth when diced)
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 6 eggs
- 4 oz feta cheese
- Fresh parsley for garnishing (coarsely chopped)
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic adding a dash of salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar for a few minutes until tender. Add bell pepper & sauté another 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, oregano and rosemary. Stirring frequently let simmer for 10 minutes, until liquid reduces a bit & sauce forms.
- Taste and season with more salt, pepper and/or sugar if needed! (Tip: If sauce is too thin, whisk together 1/4 a cup of white wine and about a tablespoon of flour to make paste. Slowly pour and stir paste into tomato sauce while making sure to keep stirring until well blended as flour will clump up if not stirred enough).
- Gently crack eggs directly on top of sauce, let simmer & cover with lid for about 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and crumble feta cheese on top & and continue cooking with lid back on about five more minutes or until eggs are cooked to desired doneness.
- Remove from heat and garnish with fresh parsley & serve!