By Varsha Mathur
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 medium Roma tomatoes
- 1 small red beetroot
- 1 onion (red or white doesn’t matter) chopped finely
- 2 carrots
- 1 tsp of grated fresh ginger
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1⁄2 tsp of black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp of sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp of cumin powder
- Salt (add as according to taste)
- Vegetable stock
- Chop all ingredients as needed.
- Then take a pot and add oil. Add the Bay leaf and then chopped onions. Fry until onions gain a little color and then add the grated ginger, chopped carrots, and beetroot.
- Saute them for a few minutes, and then add tomatoes, stock, and all
the spices and salt. Stir and cover the pot. Let it simmer on low flame
for 30 minutes until the carrots and beets are cooked.
- Once cooked, switch off the flame and let the soup mixture cool. Once cooled, add everything to a blender, and blend (you can also use an immersion blender). Keep the consistency as you like. If it’s too thick, thin it down by adding some extra stock, and check the seasoning.
- Add the mixture back into the pot and bring to a low boil.
- Serve hot with a dash of cream if you’d prefer.