By Chef Ella Freyinger
It is no secret that I am a lover of the breakfast salad. A vitamin and mineral rich start to the day is what fills my body up and cultivates a beautiful, light energy to carry me through my mornings. This one is filled with gut happy ingredients including fermented coconut yogurt. My personal favorite is by New Earth Super-foods, it’s luscious, tangy and perfectly coco-nutty. The perfectly sweet cara caras add a dose of vitamin c along with their immunity boosting properties. They also imbue this meal with their energies of renewal, cleaning and healing. A handful of sprouts reminds us of the energy we are entering into, a premonition of our sprouting dreams in the coming weeks.
- 1 large head escarole, cut into 1” pieces (or any other lettuces you love)
- 2 avocado, sliced
- 2 cara cara oranges, peeled and sliced (save the rinds to make an easy cleaning spray for your home)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Handful sprouts
- Himalayan pink sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill leaves
- FE seed brittle (recipe found on the FE website) *optional
- Place the coconut yogurt, poppy seeds, lemon juice, olive oil and black pepper in a blender and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the escarole to the large bowl with the dressing and toss to coat. Add the coconut flakes and sprouts, tossing again.
- Layer they dressed escarole on a platter with the avocado and cara cara slices. Top with crumbles of seed brittle and dill.
- If you’re craving some protein, I love to top this salad off with a fried egg.