By Chef Jo Ann Kim
- ARTICHOKE TEA
- 1 artichoke quartered
- 7 cups water
- PISTACHIO SHORTBREAD
- 3/4 cup unsalted cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pistachios, coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For the artichoke tea, simmer the quartered artichoke in a large pot of water for about 8 minutes. Strain tea, saving the edible artichoke for other use.
- For the shortbread, preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor, pulse pistachio and pumpkin seeds until coarsely ground. Stir in hemp seeds, poppy seeds, flour, baking powder, lemon zest and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together cubed butter and sugar until fluffy. Add nut and flour mixture and knead gently to combine. Carefully roll into a log in parchment paper and chill for 30 minutes.
- Unwrap and cut shortbread to thick 1/2 inch coins. Lay shortbread pieces on a lined baking sheet and bake for 11-15 minutes until the bottom is lightly browned. Let cool for ten minutes before serving.