By Chef Ella Freyinger
To experience this creation is to feel the unsolicited gaze of a lover. Which in my opinion is exactly how food should feel. I’ve made her for more than a few people I adore and can testify to her siren song that ensnares anyone she encounters. Eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.
- For the Crumble
- ½ Cup Almond Meal
- 2 Ounces Freeze Dried Mango
- ¾ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp. Cardamon
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ Tsp. Kosher Salt
- ½ cup Chilled Unsalted Butter
- For the Cake
- 1¼ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Cornmeal
- 1 ½ Tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 7 Oz. Marzipan
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Turmeric Powder
- ¾ Cup Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
- 3 (Large) Eggs
- 2 Cups Fresh Pineapple Chunks
- For the crumble
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the crumble comes together. It will look more wet than a typical dry crumble. This will enable you to get larger moist pieces versus small and dry crumbles.
- For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Coat a 10” springform pan with butter and lightly dust with flour, shaking out any excess.
- Place the marzipan, sugar and butter into the bowl of an electric mixer. Start on low to break up the large chunks of marzipan and gradually work up to a medium-high speed.
- Mix for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is smooth and begins to lighten in color. Add the eggs, one at a time (I personally don’t follow this rule, it’s not in my rebellious baking nature) mixing thoroughly after each addition. Turn the mixture up to high and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients and spices and mix on low for 10 seconds.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and using a spatula fold in the remaining dry ingredients. This is so you do not overwork the dough and end up with a tough cake.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and smooth so that the batter reaches the edges of the pan and is evenly spread. The batter will be incredibly thick.
- Scatter the pineapple on top of the batter, spreading evenly. Top with crumble, again making sure it is evenly distributed.
- Place in the oven and bake for 70-85 minutes. The cake will be golden brown and the edges will have pulled away from the pan. Allow to cool in the pan for 1 hour before unmolding.
- Serve with crème fraiche and slip away into bliss.