By Chef Ella Freyinger
- 1 1⁄2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 8 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Ice water
- Place the flour, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the cubed butter and toss to coat with flour mixture. Using your thumb and forefinger gently flatten each cube of butter.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and 3 tbsp of ice water to the flour-butter mixture. Gently toss with a fork. Continue adding 2 tbsp of water at a time and gently tossing with a fork until the dough reaches a shaggy appearance.
- Flour a work surface and turn the dough out onto it. Resist the urge to knead the dough. Using your hands, pull the shaggy dough into a round then lightly flatten. Fold the dough in half, flatten, rotate 90° and repeat this process two more times. Cut the dough in half and form into a round. Flatten to about 1” thickness. Wrap each round in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour.